£6.4MILLION waste transfer station in Scunthorpe to have contractor by December
Graham Sykes group manager operations, North Lincolnshire, Peter Williams director of places North Lincolnshire Council, cabinet member for environment Councillor Neil Poole and John Coates head of Waste Service, pictured outside the waste transfer statio
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 26 Jul 2017
A contractor is expected to be found by this winter for a £6.4million waste transfer station in Scunthorpe.
The site on Midland Road has been without a contractor since Impetus Waste Management Ltd pulled out of operations at the site last October.
Now, council officials have said that a long term contractor is expected to be delivered for the site.
A North Lincolnshire Council spokesperson, said: “The waste transfer station on Midland Road is council owned and operated.
"We are now in the process of securing a new company to treat the waste collected in North Lincolnshire from December 2017.”
A decision was made earlier this month by the council's cabinet member for investment, assets and employment to make an urgent decision on beginning the procurement process.
Once in place, the contractor will collect, treat and dispose of the council's residual waste.
The waste transfer station has been in the council's control since Impetus went into administration leaving waste to be transferred to a landfill site in Roxby near Winterton.
Impetus stopped receiving waste at the site on October 28, 2016.
The contract for the station was originally won by Impetus Waste Management who were transferring their waste from the site on Midlands Road to be incinerated at their base in Stockton-On-Tees.
The site had only been in operation since September 2016 before the firm halted receiving waste.
Biomass supplier's technology and transport investments will bolster growth plans