Another 156 new homes in Immingham will provide 'desperate need' for affordable housing, says builder
One of the Peter Ward homes earmarked for the Habrough Fields development in Immingham (Image: Peter Ward)
By Grimsby Telegraph | Posted: 2 Nov 2017
Plans to build a further 156 homes in Immingham have been unveiled, raising the number of potential new properties in the town to over 700.
Peter Ward Homes is looking to make a full application for phase two of its development at Habrough Fields, which will be built immediately north of the existing site.
The application, which is expected to be submitted in November, comes after huge plans to build around 500 new homes on Highfield Farm, Stallingborough Road, Immingham were revealed.
A separate application to build a further 116 homes on the land of the former Immingham Resource Centre has already been submitted and is now pending consideration.
Andrew Sangwin of Sangwin Architects and Alastair Cliffe of Spawforths Chartered Town Planners view the proposed plans for Habrough Fields Phase Two
Peter Ward, managing director of Peter Ward Homes, said phase two of Habrough Fields would "fulfil the desperate need" for housing in the area.
"We are looking to build a further 156 plots to add to the already very successful site we have in Immingham," he said.
"Half of the homes will be three bedroom making them accessible to a wide range of buyers. They will fulfil the desperate need in Immingham, and North East Lincolnshire as a whole, for new housing.
"The location has already proved popular with buyers and is on the edge of the town, ideally positioned for access to the motorway and the Humber’s towns and cities.”
Around 40 per cent of the proposed houses will be semi-detached properties and designed for those wanting to get on the housing ladder.
A consultation over the latest development by Peter Ward Homes, with representative Alastair Cliffe, left, and residents, Steve Badics, centre and Michael Pendregaust.
Mr Ward added: “We have used our experience from the first phase and changed the mix of housing and the home designs.
"For example we are introducing a three-bed dormer bungalow, always popular with older buyers or those with disabled family.
"Other house designs will offer the spaces modern families require as well as those looking to move into their first home or upgrade from a smaller house or flat. All the designs are laid out meet the buyers' lifestyle needs.”
A public consultation was held on Thursday last week at Blossom Way Sports and Social Club, where some residents raised their concerns.
Some homeowners who live on the Habrough Fields estate were badly affected by the flash floodswhich hit parts of North East Lincolnshire back in August.
Michael Pendregaust, who lives on Owmby Close, Habrough Fields, said: “Flooding is our main concern. All the drains from Habrough Fields run from east to west. They are not big enough to cope.
"We were promised there would never be anything like this again. But nothing has been done. Are we going to see another 156 homes emptying into that drain? It can’t cope as it is.
“We already have problems with parking. Often you have to go to people’s doors to let them know you can’t get out. If all these new homes are built it will be young people and usually they have two cars. Part of the planning condition was that there would be no caravans or vans. But that is not being enforced.”
An open weekend held at phase one of the Habrough Fields estate, Immingham, in 2015
Mother-of-three Laura Perrin added: “We are concerned there are not enough facilities in Immingham. There just isn’t the infrastructure. There is no Tesco and you can’t buy a pair of shoes. The amount of traffic is a concern. There is only one road in and out.”
Helen Plastow, 32, of Brocklesby Avenue, Habrough Fields, said: “We have been there for two years but I can’t get places in school in Immingham for my kids. How are they going to accommodate more families?”
Fellow Brocklesby Avenue resident, Lynn Lammin, said: “Flooding is the main problem. The field they want to build on is saturated. We were told there would be a new pumping station. But we haven’t seen anything.”
And John Sleight, 69 of Maiden Close off Pilgrim Way, said: “My concern was that we would become a through road into the estate. But I have been told that will be for pedestrian access and not vehicles. That alleviates my concern."
He also said he was pleased after Peter Ward Homes representatives told him the dyke along Mill Lane will be dredged.
The developer said they will take the residents' views into account and, where feasible, include them in the application.
'I used to be a mechanic': Queen reminisces with Siemens workers on visit to Hull factory