Firm lodges second formal appeal against council decision to reject plans to drill for oil
The oil well based at Wressle, North Lincolnshire.
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 1 Aug 2017
A formal appeal has been lodged against a council decision to reject plans for oil drilling in North Lincolnshire for a second time.
Egdon Resources has tabled the second appeal against a decision to deny them the opportunity to retain an oil well in Wressle for the exploration of hydrocarbons.
Earlier this month, planners turned down proposals from the firm for a second time and also rejected an application to retain the site for a further 12 months after Egdon's original three-year consent had ran its course.
The firm told The Telegraph after the planning meeting that it would be "highly likely" that they would lodge a formal appeal.
Mark Abbott Managing Director of Egdon Resources, said the firm was disappointed with the decision following the planning meeting.
He said: “We are very disappointed by the decision of the Committee that again goes against the positive recommendation of their Planning Officer which was determined after an extensive and thorough review of our proposals which included more detailed information to address the specific concerns outlined by North Lincolnshire Council in their refusal of the original application on 11 January 2017.
Egdon Resources, with Mark Abbott (far left), at last January's planning committee where their application was rejected for the first time.
“Our business has been operating exploration and production sites in a safe and environmentally sensitive manner across the region for many years, engaging with communities, employing local people and investing in the local supply chain."
Egdon Resources has now appealed against both decisions by North Lincolnshire Council's planning committee.
The first appeal is expected to be heard in November 2017 following the rejection in January of this year.
Protesters gather outside Civic Centre Scunthorpe ahead of planning meeting to vote on oil drilling in the Ancholme Valley near Wressle.
Councillors on the planning committee rejected both of the firm's applications on the grounds that the applications lacked sufficient information.
They also rejected Egdon's proposal to extend their consent on the site arguing that the firm had sufficient time to explore for oil and gas.
The Government's Planning Inspectorate, the body that deals with national and local planning appeals, is expected to receive all representations for the second appeal by September 7, 2017.
Regeneration boost as High Court puts Grimsby shopping precinct back in Freemen's hands
Boost for Trentside workers as Groveport seals new five-year deal with major steel trader