Firm to press ahead with appeal over oil drilling plans in North Lincolnshire
Protesters gather outside Civic Centre Scunthorpe ahead of planning meeting to vote on oil drilling in the Ancholme Valley near Wressle
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 11 Jul 2017
An appeal for plans to drill for oil at a site in North Lincolnshire is expected to be heard later this year after a second application was given the thumbs-down by councillors.
Egdon Resources submitted plans to explore for oil at a well in Lodge Farm, north of Wressle, following three-years of experimental ground monitoring at the site.
However, at last week's planning meeting North Lincolnshire councillors turned down proposals for a second time.
Now, the company intends to push forward with its appeal against the council's decision to refuse planning permission for the first application in January.
In a statement, Egdon managing director Mark Abbott said he was disappointed by the decision and that the company expected to have its appeal heard in November.
He said: "We are very disappointed by the decision of the committee that again goes against the positive recommendation of their planning officer, which was determined after an extensive and thorough review of our proposals which included more detailed information to address the specific concerns outlined by North Lincolnshire Council in their refusal of the original application on January 11.
"Our business has been operating exploration and production sites in a safe and environmentally sensitive manner across the region for many years, engaging with communities, employing local people and investing in the local supply chain.
"We will now take forward our appeal against the original January 11 determination, which is due to be heard in November."
Last week's planning meeting was attended by demonstrators against Egdon's proposals.
Egdon Resources, with Mark Abbott (far left), at last January's planning committee where their application was rejected for the first time
Elizabeth Williams, who was speaking against the application, said that the plans proposed by Egdon amounted to "low volume fracking" and that it would be dangerous for public health and community well being in the area.
"This has been a highly contentious application," she said.
"We cannot allow fracking here or anywhere."
However, Mr Abbott told the planning committee that the company's proposals were not fracking.
"Our method of prompt and squeeze is industry recognised," he said.
Following the rejection of Egdon's oil exploration application, the council's planning committee rejected a further application to extend the company's ground monitoring at the site for a further 12 months.
The company's previous planning consent allowed for ground monitoring at the Wressle oil well for three-years.
Initial drilling for experimental purposes began at the site in April 2014 - meaning the companies consent on the site ended in April of this year.
The Government's Planning Inspectorate, the body which hears appeals against applications on both a national and local level, will hear the appeal in November.
East Yorkshire's new Siemens factory gets 1.5bn deal to build London Underground trains