Hull firm named and shamed on list of companies not paying minimum wage
179 businesses failed to pay staff the minimum wage
By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: 9 Mar 2018
Two East Yorkshire firms have been ‘named and shamed’ for failing to pay workers the minimum wage.
A number of High Street chains, including Wagamama and TGI Fridays, have also been named by the Government for not paying its staff sufficiently.
Pink Innovations Ltd, which is based in Henry Boot Way, west Hull, failed to pay five members of staff the minimum wage, failing to pay £3,482.83 between them.
The firm, which has been previously registered under the named Green Leaf Installations Ltd and Nature’s Room Ltd, also has its accounts overdue according to Companies House.
Ms Karly Skerman and Mr Ray Booth, trading as Billy Rays Store in Bridlington, have also been included on the Government list.
The report says that the firm failed to meet the minimum wage for one worker, failing to pay them £161.67.
The firms were among 179 employers that also include football clubs Birmingham City, Yeovil Town and Premier League football club Stoke City and rugby clubs St Helens and London Irish.
A total of £1.1m in back pay was identified for 9,200 workers, with retail, hairdressing and hospitality businesses the most prolific offenders.
Wagamama was said to have failed to pay £133,212 to 2,630 workers, the most of any of the companies named.
TGI Friday's, meanwhile, shortchanged 2,302 of its staff to the tune of £59,348.
Hotel firm Marriott failed to pay £71,723 to 279 workers, according to figures released by the Business Department.
The Government has also fined the employers a total of £1.3m in penalties, the Mirror reports.
Failing to pay workers for travelling between jobs, not paying overtime, and deducting money for uniforms were some of the reasons for the underpayments.
Business minister Andrew Griffiths said: "There are no excuses for shortchanging workers.
"This is an absolute red line for this Government and employers who cross it will get caught - not only are they forced to pay back every penny but they are also fined up to 200 per cent of wages owed.
"Today's naming round serves as a sharp reminder to employers to get their house in order ahead of minimum wage rate rises on April 1."
On that date, the National Living Wage will go up to £7.83 per hour. This the rate paid to workers over 25 years old workers, which currently stands at £7.50.
The minimum wage is also set to rise for millions of workers next month.
The full list of firms which failed to pay minimum wage
1. Wagamama Limited, Westminster W1F, failed to pay £133,212.42 to 2,630 workers.
2. Marriott Hotels Limited, Luton LU1, failed to pay £71,722.93 to 279 workers.
3. Thursday (UK) Limited, trading as TGI Friday's, Luton LU1, failed to pay £59,347.64 to 2,302 workers.
4. National Society For Epilepsy (THE), Chiltern SL9, failed to pay £55,251.37 to 26 workers.
5. Wright Leisure Limited, trading as Xercise4less, Leeds LS4, failed to pay £54,290.37 to 240 workers.
6. Ms Sarah Jane Bowman and Ms Annabel Garland Farnell-Watson, trading as Hazelwood House, South Hams TQ7, failed to pay £48,288.66 to 3 workers.
7. Seashells Limited, Conwy LL29, failed to pay £43,235.91 to 68 workers.
8. Bridge End House Nursery Limited, Calderdale HD6, failed to pay £41,938.73 to 2 workers.
9. Globebrow Limited, trading as Manor Adventure, Shropshire SY7, failed to pay £33,889.80 to 111 workers.
10. Moy Park Limited, Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon BT63, failed to pay £33,547.57 to 338 workers.
11. Daniele Petteno Ltd, trading as Daniele Petteno Architecture Workshop, Wandsworth SW15, failed to pay £28,410.25 to 12 workers.
12. Beautiful Spots Limited, trading as Benito Brow Bar, Islington B2, failed to pay £27,184.28 to 97 workers.
13. Threshold Housing Project Limited, trading as Threshold, Tameside OL6, failed to pay £26,033.75 to 41 workers.
14. Heather Park Community Services Limited, North Lanarkshire ML2, failed to pay £26,018.63 to 73 workers.
15. 1st Pizza Direct Limited, Highland IV3, failed to pay £25,668.15 to 87 workers.
16. 4Fashions Ltd, trading as Dress Decode, Manchester M8, failed to pay £25,616.56 to 24 workers.
17. Wilson's Country Limited, Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon BT63, failed to pay £24,560.53 to 63 workers.
18. Lickfold Inn Limited, trading as The Lickfold Inn, Chichester GU28, failed to pay £23,754.87 to 37 workers.
19. North London Asian Care, Enfield N13, failed to pay £15,687.49 to 70 workers.
20. Witham Hand Car Wash Ltd, Braintree CM8, failed to pay £10,051.99 to 6 workers.
21. Karen Millen Fashions Limited, West Oxfordshire OX29, failed to pay £9,847.20 to 28 workers.
22. Mr Muhammad Adnan Safdar and Mrs Khadija Javaid, trading as Citi Dental Surgery, Glasgow City G51, failed to pay £8,733.33 to 2 workers.
23. Mr Akbor Miah, trading as Dil Indian Cuisine, Monmouthshire NP15, failed to pay £7,936.78 to 2 workers.
24. Albury Estate Fisheries (2008) Limited, trading as Albury Estate Fisheries, Hounslow TW8, failed to pay £7,511.32 to 1 workers.
25. Atkins Hotels Limited, trading as The Yorke Arms (previous ownership), Harrogate HG3, failed to pay £7,241.82 to 3 workers.
26. Adactus Housing Group Limited, Wigan WN7, failed to pay £7,098.96 to 9 workers.
27. Meejana Limited, trading as Meejana, Elmbridge KT13, failed to pay £6,488.88 to 6 workers.
28. Summer Lodge Management Limited, trading as Summer Lodge Country House Hotel Restaurant & Spa, West Dorset DT2, failed to pay £6,168.48 to 24 workers.
29. Davies Security Limited, Swansea SA1, failed to pay £5,914.48 to 1 worker.
30. Oakfield Caravan Park Limited, Denbighshire LL18, failed to pay £5,903.37 to 2 workers.
31. Pentlow Community Care Limited, Eastbourne BN21, failed to pay £5,725.38 to 36 workers.
32. Birmingham City Football Club plc, Birmingham B9, failed to pay £5,653.03 to 534 workers.
33. St Helens Rugby Football Club Limited, trading as St Helens R.F.C., St. Helens WA9, failed to pay £5,536.92 to 117 workers.
34. Mr David Wilson, Mrs Doreen Wilson and Mr Darren Wilson, trading as Wilson's Deliveries, Erewash DE7, failed to pay £4,935.46 to 1 worker.
35. Smart Hand Car Wash Plymouth Ltd, Plymouth PL3, failed to pay £4,817.09 to 2 workers.
36. A1 Care Services Limited, Torfaen NP4, failed to pay £4,652.73 to 66 workers.
37. Jeta Car Wash Ltd, trading as Queensway Car Wash, Arun PO21, failed to pay £4,584.93 to 3 workers.
38. Cost Effective Catering Limited, City of Edinburgh EH4, failed to pay £4,559.11 to 23 workers.
39. SB Patel Ltd, trading as Porth Stores, Merthyr Tydfil CF46, failed to pay £4,454.29 to 2 workers.
40. Plymouth Car Wash Ltd, Plymouth PL4, failed to pay £4,122.92 to 3 workers.
41. Handy Andy Car Wash Ponteland Limited, trading as Handy Andy Car Wash, Northumberland NE20, failed to pay £3,932.55 to 3 workers.
42. Mr Lee Harris and Mr David Wilson, trading as The Barber Shop, West Oxfordshire OX28, failed to pay £3,894.77 to 2 workers.
43. Home Life Carers Limited, Mid Devon EX16, failed to pay £3,675.32 to 31 workers.
44. Simonstone Ltd, trading as Simonstone Hall Hotel, Richmondshire DL8, failed to pay £3,633.42 to 3 workers.
45. SSL Foodservice Ltd, trading as SSL Dairies, Luton LU3, failed to pay £3,576.88 to 8 workers.
46. A2 Car Wash Limited, Southwark SE1, failed to pay £3,553.65 to 3 workers.
47. Pink Innovations Ltd, Kingston upon Hull, City of HU4, failed to pay £3,482.83 to 5 workers.
48. The Blue Bicycle (York) Limited, trading as The Blue Bicycle, York YO1, failed to pay £3,479.46 to 2 workers.
49. The Care Bureau Limited, Warwick CV32, failed to pay £3,423.94 to 343 workers.
50. Box & Charnock Limited, Bedford MK44, failed to pay £3,387.55 to 1 worker.
51. Red Arrow Fulfilment Limited, Test Valley SO51, failed to pay £3,245.85 to 33 workers.
52. Foxlowe Trading Company Limited, Staffordshire Moorlands ST13, failed to pay £3,200.97 to 1 worker.
53. Hideaway Day Nursery Limited, Walsall WS2, failed to pay £3,184.11 to 18 workers.
54. Headromance Ltd, Havant PO9, failed to pay £2,959.64 to 9 workers.
55. QCS Contract Cleaning Ltd, Belfast BT15, failed to pay £2,952.19 to 237 workers.
56. Mr Nigel Birch and Mrs Sarah Shotton, trading as Oasis Hair & Bodycare, Mansfield NG18, failed to pay £2,818.99 to 16 workers.
57. Trinity Pre-School, trading as Trinity Children's Centre Nursery & Out of School Club, Kirklees WF14, failed to pay £2,612.06 to 3 workers.
58. Mr Wayne Gray and Mrs Margaret Gray, trading as Jackson Gray, Dundee City DD3, failed to pay £2,514 to 4 workers.
59. Busy Bee Montessori Nursery School Limited, trading as Busy Bees Nursery School, Forest Heath IP28, failed to pay £2,488.29 to 19 workers.
60. SBDP1 Limited, Great Yarmouth NR29, failed to pay £2,275.03 to 67 workers.
61. Tayto Group Limited, Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon BT62, failed to pay £2,236.14 to 50 workers.
62. Impact Call Centre Limited, Test Valley SO51, failed to pay £2,095.14 to 15 workers.
63. 4th Generation (NW) Limited, Stockport SK6, failed to pay £2,086.41 to 1 worker.
64. A Johnson Construction Limited, Cheshire East CW1, failed to pay £2,033.45 to 2 workers.
65. Thurlestone Estates Limited, trading as Thurlestone Hotel, South Hams TQ7, failed to pay £2,028.14 to 4 workers.
66. Lakemere Green Limited, trading as Neville Hair & Beauty, Kensington and Chelsea SW1X, failed to pay £2,023.29 to 1 worker.
67. Universal United Commerce Limited, City of Edinburgh EH6, failed to pay £2,009.88 to 2 workers.
68. Patisserie Patchi Limited, trading as Patchi, Brent NW10, failed to pay £2,007.92 to 7 workers.
69. Mr Mahendra Davda, trading as M M Davda, Birmingham B10, failed to pay £1,902.35 to 1 worker.
70. Stef and Stan Ltd, St Albans AL2, failed to pay £1,900.59 to 2 workers.
71. I Can Day Nurseries Limited , trading as Scamps Day Nursery, Cheshire East SK11, failed to pay £1,891.75 to 2 workers.
72. Holbrook Academy, Babergh IP9, failed to pay £1,862.05 to 2 workers.
73. Nath Stores Limited, Stockton-on-Tees TS17, failed to pay £1,823.69 to 1 worker.
74. Vickers Construction Limited, Stockton-on-Tees TS18, failed to pay £1,809.35 to 1 worker.
75. Manor House Hotel (Oakehampton) Limited, trading as The Manor House Hotel, West Devon EX20, failed to pay £1,776.33 to 31 workers.
76. Extra Care for Elderly People Limited, Antrim and Newtownabbey BT41, failed to pay £1,775.79 to 6 workers.
77. Rootcroft Limited, trading as West House Residential Home, Southend-on-Sea SS0, failed to pay £1,774.39 to 13 workers.
78. Little Footprints Nursery Limited, Leicester LE5, failed to pay £1,760.15 to 1 workers.
79. Marcandi Limited, trading as madbid.com , Westminster SW1P, failed to pay £1,743.48 to 1 worker.
80. Clean as a Whistle Super Hand Car Wash Ltd, Plymouth PL5, failed to pay £1,706.26 to 2 workers.
81. Lyndhurst School, Surrey Heath GU15, failed to pay £1,696.21 to 3 workers.
82. Ms Lorna O'Donnell, trading as Snow dons Hairdressing Salon, Solihull B36, failed to pay £1,675.71 to 1 worker.
83. Twinkles (Leeds) Limited, Leeds LS2, failed to pay £1,617.87 to 8 workers.
84. Ritcin Limited, trading as Starbucks, Belfast BT1, failed to pay £1,592.79 to 79 workers.
85. Cedar Tree Care Home Ltd, Derby DE23, failed to pay £1,531.99 to 11 workers.
86. Dan Skelton Racing Limited, Stratford-on-Avon B49, failed to pay £1,520.19 to 3 workers.
87. Fast Car wash Ltd, trading as Waves Hand Car Wash, Basildon SS15, failed to pay £1,444.16 to 3 workers.
88. G.Purchase Construction Limited, Walsall WS2, failed to pay £1,392.55 to 8 workers.
89. Dr Baber Ghafoor and Dr S A Abbasi, Rochdale OL11, failed to pay £1,355.98 to 6 workers.
90. Feather and Black , Chichester PO19, failed to pay £1,333.25 to 31 workers.
91. ADI Hand Car Wash Ltd, Epping Forest CM5, failed to pay £1,304.77 to 6 workers.
92. Independent Community Care Management Limited, Kettering NN15, failed to pay £1,301.82 to 14 workers.
93. Crystal Knitwear Limited, Mansfield NG18, failed to pay £1,144.48 to 6 workers.
94. Georgie Porgy's Pre-School Ltd, Havering RM12, failed to pay £1,142.13 to 6 workers.
95. Stoke City Football Club Limited, trading as Stoke City F.C., Stoke-on-Trent ST4, failed to pay £1,102.62 to 7 workers.
96. Parkers Mini Buses (Ellesmere Port) Limited, Cheshire West and Chester CH65, failed to pay £1,092.56 to 5 workers.
97. Fosters Bakery (Staincross) Limited, Barnsley S75, failed to pay £1,074.93 to 1 workers.
98. James Ritchie Clocks (established 1809) Ltd, City of Edinburgh EH3, failed to pay £1,064.66 to 2 workers.
99. Poppies WL & S Limited, trading as Poppies, West Lancashire L39, failed to pay £1,061.70 to 69 workers.
100. Rudan Knightsbridge Limited, trading as Daniel Hersheson, Kensington and Chelsea SW1X, failed to pay £1,060.55 to 4 workers.
101. Achieving Excellence UK Ltd, Tameside SK16, failed to pay £1,031.19 to 1 worker.
102. Focus Food Services Limited, Chesterfield S43, failed to pay £1,007.73 to 6 workers.
103. Mr Peter Watts, trading as 3ccc, Birmingham B44, failed to pay £1,006.67 to 2 workers.
104. Days Poole Limited, trading as Day's Restaurant, Poole BH12, failed to pay £1,001.34 to 19 workers.
105. Europa Foods Distribution Limited, Causeway Coast and Glens BT51, failed to pay £976.55 to 2 workers.
106. Grade House Limited, Brent HA0, failed to pay £951.75 to 1 worker.
107. Alison Margaret Smith, trading as A.M.S Hair & Beauty, City of Edinburgh EH12, failed to pay £935.21 to 1 worker.
108. Mrs Angela Fox, trading as Café Express, Stockton-on-Tees TS18, failed to pay £870.21 to 1 worker.
109. Redhill Service Centre Limited, Gedling NG5, failed to pay £825.24 to 1 worker.
110. Shoe Zone Retail Limited, Leicester LE1, failed to pay £804.88 to 15 workers.
111. Arcadis Consulting (UK) Limited, Cardiff CF3, failed to pay £796.72 to 2 workers.
112. RPP Wood Green Ltd, trading as Roosters Piri Piri, Haringey N22, failed to pay £779.39 to 3 workers.
113. Mrs Lisa Chakir, trading as Chairs Hairdresser, West Lothian EH49, failed to pay £774.86 to 1 worker.
114. Mrs Jacqueline Young, trading as The Forum (previous ownership), Northumberland NE63, failed to pay £770.01 to 1 worker.
115. Mr George Hanson and Mr James Hanson, trading as Punycode Riding Stables, Shropshire SY10, failed to pay £747.9 to 4 workers.
116. Express Vision (UK) Ltd, Birmingham B18, failed to pay £727.35 to 1 worker.
117. Sanjay Foods (UK) Limited, Leicester LE4, failed to pay £719.18 to 6 workers.
118. Indulge Me Limited, trading as Indulge, Harrow HA5, failed to pay £718.1 to 1 worker.
119. Mr Christopher James Hill, trading as D&A Sheds, Aylesbury Vale MK18, failed to pay £701.37 to 1 worker.
120. Bush House Pembroke Limited, Pembrokeshire SA71, failed to pay £686.92 to 6 workers.
121. Miss Zoe MacDonald, trading as Unique Hair & Beauty, Na h-Eileanan Siar HS1, failed to pay £686 to 1 worker.
122. VF Cash & Carry Limited, trading as Variety Foods, Newham E7, failed to pay £667.86 to 19 workers.
123. MRN Recruitment Limited, South Holland PE11, failed to pay £628 to 265 workers.
124. Gloss Hairdressing Limited, Harrogate HG5, failed to pay £618.57 to 4 workers.
125. Rainbow Brite Cleaning Services Limited, Newport NP20, failed to pay £585.95 to 9 workers.
126. The Urban Chocolatier Limited, Newham E7, failed to pay £578.01 to 1 worker.
127. Edworthy Computing Limited, Mid Devon EX17, failed to pay £548.45 to 1 worker.
128. Mumtaz Leeds Limited, trading as Mumtaz, Leeds LS10, failed to pay £540 to 1 worker.
129. East Lancashire Services Limited, Rochdale OL10, failed to pay £539.49 to 28 workers.
130. Plaistow Broadway Filling Stations Limited, Basildon CM12, failed to pay £535.53 to 1 worker.
131. NTCDucting.com Limited, Swansea SA7, failed to pay £492.17 to 1 worker.
132. Mr Ali Qerimi, trading as Olympic Hand Car Wash, Newham E15, failed to pay £475.5 to 2 workers.
133. Moulsham Residential Home (Chelmsford) Limited, Chelmsford CM2, failed to pay £474.82 to 2 workers.
134. Blaxills Fitted Furniture Limited, trading as Blaxills, St Albans AL2, failed to pay £472.46 to 1 worker.
135. Miss Tracey Henry, trading as Valentinos Hair Salon, Southampton SO15, failed to pay £472.33 to 1 worker.
136. Cragwood International Limited, trading as Cragwood Country House Hotel & Restaurant, South Lakeland LA23, failed to pay £467.78 to 3 workers.
137. Step Up Security Services Ltd, Knowsley L33, failed to pay £462.42 to 28 workers.
138. Mr Shahzad Iqbal Kiyani, trading as Aprana Café, Birmingham B8, failed to pay £452.5 to 1 worker.
139. D K Leisure Ltd, trading as Bushtown Hotel, Causeway Coast and Glens BT51, failed to pay £448.13 to 2 workers.
140. Clear-View Fife Limited, trading as Clear-View Cleaning Specialists, Fife KY6, failed to pay £431.63 to 1 worker.
141. Capital (Hair and Beauty) Limited, Eastbourne BN21, failed to pay £427.4 to 78 workers.
142. Saramago Ltd, trading as Saramago Café Bar, Glasgow City G2, failed to pay £425.63 to 4 workers.
143. McClarance Services Limited, trading as Elliot McClarance, Trafford WA14, failed to pay £416.17 to 2 workers.
144. Entier Limited, Aberdeenshire AB32, failed to pay £403.07 to 1 worker.
145. DSM N.E. Ltd, County Durham DL5, failed to pay £395.57 to 1 worker.
146. Darren Dickie, trading as Darren Dickie Roofing & Building Contractor, Barrow-in-Furness LA14, failed to pay £392.22 to 1 worker.
147. Biddall Leisure Limited, trading as The Vine Hotel, East Lindsey PE24, failed to pay £389.77 to 1 worker.
148. Legal Square Ltd, Manchester M12, failed to pay £370.13 to 1 worker.
149. Neath Road Car Sales & Car Wash Ltd, Wiltshire SA1, failed to pay £348.69 to 5 workers.
150. Mr Shakil Shah, trading as Town Fryer, St. Helens WA10, failed to pay £347.31 to 3 workers.
151. Jackson Gray Limited, trading as Jackson Gray, Dundee City DD3, failed to pay £343.38 to 3 workers.
152. Mrs Elaine Phillips and Mr Mitchell Phillips, trading as Studio 57 Clinic, Brighton and Hove BN3, failed to pay £339.03 to 2 workers.
153. Maxine Adams, Kensington and Chelsea SW3, failed to pay £312.45 to 1 worker.
154. 4TheHouse Limited, Leeds LS14, failed to pay £288.1 to 1 worker.
155. Ari Pizza Ltd, trading as Marmaris Pizza, Ashfield NG17, failed to pay £287.8 to 2 workers.
156. Hales Group Limited, Peterborough PE1, failed to pay £285.08 to 6 workers.
157. Mariner Travel Limited, Warrington WA13, failed to pay £281.72 to 1 worker.
158. P&P Duff (Scotland) Limited, trading as Patrick, Renfrewshire PA1, failed to pay £280.15 to 1 workers.
159. Grand Union Company Limited, Lambeth SE11, failed to pay £271.28 to 6 workers.
160. Mr Ahmed Faalzada, trading as Pizza on Broadway, Kingston upon Thames KT6, failed to pay £266.25 to 1 worker.
161. Ducati Manchester Limited, Trafford M33, failed to pay £246.88 to 1 worker.
162. Ms Fiona Latham, trading as The Wellington Hotel, Halton L24, failed to pay £233.55 to 1 worker.
163. Tsang's Kitchen Ltd, Wiltshire SN10, failed to pay £221.1 to 1 worker.
164. Mr Nicholas Tsaroullas, Mr John Yiamokis Tsaroullas and Mrs Kyriacou Tsaroullas , trading as Mentone Hotel, North Somerset BS23, failed to pay £209.44 to 4 workers.
165. GAF Foods Limited, trading as Subway, Haringey N4 1, failed to pay £200.81 to 5 workers.
166. Tanna's Limited, Brent NW10, failed to pay £194.54 to 1 worker.
167. P&A Food Management Services Limited, Hambleton DL8, failed to pay £186.39 to 11 workers.
168. Mr Tino Cernera, trading as Da Vinci, Dacorum HP23, failed to pay £183.83 to 2 workers.
169. Mrs Carole Bentley, trading as Tenford Kennels, Staffordshire Moorlands ST10, failed to pay £182.12 to 1 worker.
170. Yeovil Football & Athletic Club (The), trading as Yeovil Town F.C, South Somerset BA22, failed to pay £174.18 to 2 workers.
171. Casa Bianco Limited, trading as The White Rooms, Southampton SO14, failed to pay £171.2 to 1 worker.
172. Ms Karly Skerman and Mr Ray Booth, trading as Billy Rays Store, East Riding of Yorkshire YO15, failed to pay £161.67 to 1 worker.
173. Orchard Care (South West) limited, trading as Restgarth Care Home, Cornwall PL13, failed to pay £161.27 to 7 workers.
174. Always Cleaning Limited, Oldham OL9, failed to pay £154.58 to 2 workers.
175. Mr Hamid Noori, trading as Valley Road Hand Car Wash, Plymouth PL7, failed to pay £153.3 to 1 worker.
176. London Irish Scottish Richmond Limited, trading as London Irish, Spelthorne TW16, failed to pay £131.73 to 1 worker.
177. Mr Sean Hornby, trading as The Queens Hotel, Bury BL2, failed to pay £129.45 to 1 worker.
178. SM News Limited, Wigan WN7, failed to pay £120 to 1 worker.
179. Riverside Pizza Company Limited, trading as La Figa, Tower Hamlets E14, failed to pay £100.83 to 1 worker.
East Yorkshire's new Siemens factory gets 1.5bn deal to build London Underground trains