Lord Line restaurant plans and new 111-bed Hull city centre hotel BOTH refused
An image of the Lord Line building included in the latest Manor planning application
By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: 7 Jun 2018
Two major planning applications, one of which would have seen one of Hull's most recognisable buildings transformed, have both been refused.
Applications had been put in to convert the controversial Lord Line building into a restaurant , cafe and ice cream parlour.
The same planning committee meeting at Hull City Council also looked through an application for an 111-bed hotel in Anlaby Road, which would have stood on the site of the former New York hotel.
Both were unanimously refused by the committee on Wednesday afternoon.
The Lord Line, which has lain derelict for several years and has become a magnet for arsonists, is owned by North Ferriby-based Manor Group.
The derelict old hydraulic tower and pump house next to the Lord Line building on St. Andrew's dock, Hull.
But there were major worries over the planning application, with council officials citing "considerable safety and security issues" at the site on St. Andrew's dock.
A report compiled prior to the council meeting had said there was "poor quality access" to the building, with the nearest available parking on the nearby St. Andrew's Quay retail park or on Goulton Street where a subway leads to the old dock.
Humberside Police had also objected to the application on security grounds, with police officers having to be called out to the site a number of times.
In one incident, a group of 100 youths were reported to be inside the building.
At the committee meeting on Wednesday, no-one has turned up from Manor Group to discuss the Lord Line application and speak about the objections.
Cllr John Fareham said: “I wanted to be persuaded, I really did, but if no one is here to persuade me, how can I.
“I’ve got absolutely no problem with recommending refusal.”
The plans for a new 111-bed city centre hotel would have created 20 jobs if it had gone ahead.
Planning officers had recommended conditional approval for the site, opposite the side entrance to Paragon Station.
How the new hotel planned for Anlaby Road could have looked
The designs had been modelled around a six-floor hotel which would have included a restaurant and retail space on the ground floor, along with 19 parking spaces.
But councillors spoke of their worries about granting approval for the site.
Cllr John Fareham said he was surprised no one had turned up to object to the proposals for the hotel and spoke of his concern at the lack of arrangements for the hotel.
“I have no problems with the idea of getting a new hotel in the city centre. The design is lacklustre at best.
“Just designing a box and putting on these trendy modern panels doesn’t make an attractive building.
“I’m not opposing a hotel or a supermarket but I am on these grounds.”
As with the Lord Line, no-one from the application, submitted by London-based ReDesign Architecture Ltd, acting as agents for the site owners, had turned up.
Chair, Cllr Alan Gardiner, said: “It’s telling that there’s no one from the applicants side for a 106-bedroom hotel that’s here.
“A development of this size, you really need to talk to the planning committee.”
The application was given unanimous refusal.
'Offshore wind is spinning round a 40 year story of decline' - major investor's take on Grimsby's latest addition