North Lincolnshire Council drops 70 homes from supermarket and pub development
Council drops 70 homes from supermarket and pub development
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 7 Apr 2017
THE leader of North Lincolnshire Council is pledging to remove 70 new homes from the Top Field development plan.
North Lincolnshire Council previously applied for outline planning permission for a new supermarket, pub and up to 70 homes on the Ferriby Road site.
Supermarket chain Lidl is also looking to build a new store on the site, replacing its current store in the town centre.
Pressure from the Top Field Action Group has led to the local authority coming up with a "compromise" and a "revised plan" – by removing the 70 new homes from the plan.
Council leader Rob Waltham said he was set to meet with the town council and the action group on Wednesday night, (April 5).
"We are going to compromise and pull the housing. We are going to handover 3.5 acres to the community," he explained.
"We won't be having 70 houses but we will still keep the pub and the shop.
"The community will have 3.5 acres of open space to the rear of the site which we will protect for perpetuation.
"I have met with ward councillors, the MP and the action group on several occasions. I have looked at the plan again.
"The whole development is now about job creation.
"I have listened to local people. I think this is a spritied compromise in the interest of listening to local people, while also recognising you must have investment and jobs in the town," the council leader said.
The local authority will also be looking "very closely" at the highway access to the proposed development.
The council leader said they have "compromised on the element of the site with the highest value".
Last month, the council announced plans to declare a new nature reserve called the Barton Wolds Local Nature Reserve, which will cover 11.9 hectares on the outskirts of the town, next to the A15, with scope to potentially extend this in the future.
As reported, the Top Field Action Group said it would take the council to court if it didn't withdraw the plans.
The group wrote to the Government asking for the planning application to be called in by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid.
'Offshore wind is spinning round a 40 year story of decline' - major investor's take on Grimsby's latest addition
East Yorkshire's new Siemens factory gets 1.5bn deal to build London Underground trains