Scunthorpe soups capitalise on vegan vogue diets
DIET DRIVEN: The new Glorious! range.
By Scunthorpe Telegraph | Posted: 29 Aug 2017
BEING vegan – or at least cutting back your meat and dairy intake – now seems to be the norm, and Scunthorpe-based soup manufacturer TSC Foods is looking to capitalise as autumn dawns.
The Glorious! brand has introduced five new flavours as the season ramps up, as it claims to lead the pack in the rise of availability of simple lunch options with this diet in mind.
According to the Vegan Society, there were three and a half times as many vegans in 2016 as there were in 2006.
Claire Roper, Glorious! brand and category innovation manager, said: “Glorious! Soups’ range of healthy and nutritious vegan soups was developed with that all-important lunch hour in mind. “While the evidence shows people want to cut back on their meat and dairy intake more now than ever before, they also want to ensure their lunch is as filling, nutritious and tasty as possible.”
Earlier this summer 30 new jobs were created in the company's biggest expansion in its 26-year history to keep up with customer demand.
The major investment by the owners at the Liverpool-based Billington Group will see a new 20,000 sq ft production area at Queensway Industrial Estate created in a 12 month project. TSC already employs 400 people.
The Glorious! team is looking to dispell myths from research conducted, which found two-thirds of women (68 per cent) think the term ‘comfort food’ has negative connotations and over half (55 per cent) said it makes them feel sluggish.
“Thanks to this range of vegan soups, you can indulge in delicious comfort food that is packed with vitamins and minerals, low in salt and sugar – and meat and dairy free,” Claire added.
The new additions, are:
- Brazilian Super Grain Super Soup: This zingy soup is bursting with Brazilian flavours and textures. It contains protein-rich quinoa, fibre-packed red lentils as well as millet and rice which are great for helping muscles repair post-exercise. It’s also gluten-free and contains two of your five-a-day per portion with its delicious combination of onion, tomato, red pepper, carrot and butternut squash. The secret to the ‘zing’ is in the turmeric, lime juice, ginger, garlic and curry powder. It’s a soup that makes you want to get up and dance the salsa!
- Indian Super Spinach and Chickpea Super Soup: This warming soup packs an Indian flavour punch with its delicious blend of spices. It contains turmeric, which has emerged as the superfood of the moment with its anti-inflammatory properties. The fibre-rich chickpeas and lentils in this soup keep your energy levels high and allow you to keep your concentration throughout the day – brilliant for boosting your productivity levels. One portion provides you with one of your five-a-day and it’s also gluten free.
- Singapore Crushed Tomato Skinnylicious Soup: Perfect for the summer months when you want something a little lighter for lunch, this Singapore crushed tomato soup is low in fat but doesn’t compromise on flavour. The fresh crushed tomato in this soup pairs beautifully with basmati rice to keep you full through your working day. The combination of coconut cream, lemongrass, ginger, coriander, lime leaves, chilli and galangal really gives it that South Asian zing.
- Fragrant Thai Carrot Skinnylicious Soup: With just 1.7 per cent fat per 100g this is another Skinnylicious vegan soup that will fill you up at lunchtime whilst keeping you slim. The delicious combination of carrot, ginger, lime and coriander will give a flavour injection to your lunch hour. Carrot contains Vitamin A is especially important for eye health so there is something in the old saying “carrots help you see in the dark!
- Bangalore Lentil Daal Skinnylicious Soup: Here’s another Indian-inspired vegan Glorious! Soup to pep up your lunch hour! This rich, yet low fat, toor daal and chickpea soup is mixed with tasty garam masala and curry leaves and is given a sweet edge with the addition of delicious mango chutney. It also contains iron-rich spinach, tomato, cauliflower and carrot giving all contributing to give you one of your crucial five-a-day.
The soups are available in 600g pots at Asda, Ocado, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose with a RRP from £2.
'Offshore wind is spinning round a 40 year story of decline' - major investor's take on Grimsby's latest addition