The Top 30 Under 30 business stars making their mark
IMPRESSIVE: Jack Walker, left, and Evie Scrowston were honoured.
By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: 5 Feb 2018
THIRTY of the best young employees working in Hull and Humber have been recognised as part of an innovative new programme.
The Hull and Humber Top 30 was launched last year to recognise the best employees under the age of 30 working in the region.
After a lengthy judging process, 30 of the region’s most talented workers have been selected to receive mentorship from industry leaders as part of a programme to help them progress further in their careers.
Simon Jones, 31, founder of Identify recruitment agency and organiser of the programme, says he hopes the programme highlights the area’s talent, helps them to develop and can work to help young people currently in education to know the career possibilities available.
Three judges, Michelle Swithenbank, Kishor Tailor and Jan Brumby, whittled a list down to a final 30 who they believe highlighted the talent in the region.
The selected candidates cover a wide range of sectors and ages, with people coming from a mix of education backgrounds, from young apprentices to high-flying graduates.
A variety of recognisable regional firms have also had their young stars recognised, including awards sponsors ResQ and MKM.
The winners include a client services manager at ResQ, who has risen up the firm, which takes up to one million calls per week, after initially being spotted in a local fish and chip shop.
Other winners range from a former apprentice who has shone working for a local hair salon, a young brewer who has become pivotal to the progress of one of the area’s leading craft beer brands and an engineer at a plastics manufacturer who has combined her business success with representing the England national rugby team.
Ms Brumby said: “I was delighted that there were so many good entries. When there are a lot it makes your job judging them really hard, and there wasn’t a bad nomination among them.
“There were a lot of employers who nominated these young rising stars and are clearly very proud of them, and want them to have some recognition for their successes.
“There was a huge variety. So there are examples of people who have made themselves noticed in very large companies, as well as young people who have become vital parts of much smaller businesses.”
Gill Marchbank, chief operating officer at ResQ Limited, said: “Hull and Humber 30 under 30 is an exciting initiative and a reflection of how businesses in our region are prospering. We are extremely proud to be gold sponsors, as recognising and developing young achievers is crucial in sustaining our long term future.
“We nominated Dan Wardill for this as he optimises all that it’s about; a person with talent, drive and serious ambition.
Our business thrives on young people joining and bringing new ideas and new ways of doing things and our clients appreciate it too.”
30 under 30: Complete list of young achievers
1. Martin Bishop, sales account manager, AAK
2. Louie Bottomley, warehouse manager, The Vintage Wholesale Company
3. Hannah Boyes, online marketing manager, House of Townend
4. Della Brett, head of dagger cleaning, Red Herring Games Ltd
5. Daniel Bullement, finance manager, WJ Group
6. Kayleigh Bulman, process engineer, Advanced Plastics
7. Sam Byer, promotions manager, Victoria Plum
8. Alexandra Claire, sales support and marketing, VUBA Group
9. Adam Cooke, production manager, Intergreen UK
10. Ash Curnow, operational strategy and project manager, ABP
11. Eleanor Foster, procurement officer, Dawn Meats
12. Jenny Fussey, HR assistant, MKM
13. Nathan Greenfield, sales manager and voice specialist, The One Point
14. Lizzie Hancock, digital marketing exec, Willerby Ltd
15. Jack Holbrough, manufacturing engineering manager, Smith and Nephew
16. Tim Jordan, audit manager, Ernst Young
17. Sam Langton, junior planning manager, Cranswick PLC
18. Alex Lowsley, graduate building surveyor, Delaney Marling Partnership
19. Joseph Oldroyd, sales manager, The Promotion Company
20. Brad Palin, sales executive, MKM
21. Tillie Pearson, web developer, Umber Creative
22. Evie Scrowston, stylist, Hays Salon
23. Maria Shepherd, HR assistant, Groupe Atlantic UK
24. Jonathan Smith, quality and continuous improvement manager, Bericap
25. Emily Swain, exec assistant to the Humber director, ABP
26. Joshua Timmis, transport operations manager, Den Hartogh
27. Jess Tomkins, promotions manager, Victoria Plum
28. Jack Walker, head brewer, Atom Brewery
29. Haydn Ward, research and development project manager, Paragon ID
30. Dan Wardill, client services manager, Res Q