Winners of the Young Enterprise North Humber Company of the Year county final revealed
The Forte group at the County final of the Young Enterprise North Humber company of the year
By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: 12 May 2017
Children went head to head to prove who had the best business skills at the Young Enterprise North Humber Company of the Year county final.
Teams form three schools – Pocklington, Hymers and Cottingham Focus – found out who had made it through to the Yorkshire and Humber Regional at an event at the Hallmark Hotel in Ferriby last night.
The winner of the regional final in June will progress to the national competition in July.
The teams included:
Rural Gold – Pocklington School
Alternative Retro – Pocklington School
Zodiac – Hymers College
Forte – Cottingham Focus School
The Company Programme challenged the young people to develop their employability and set up and run their own business for a year.
The overall winners were Forte, who were supported by Alpine HC Group.
The Alternative Retro group
Jo Fleming, managing director of Yorkshire Staffing Services and the chairman of the governors, said: "This heat of the Young Enterprise Competition, was one of the toughest I've been involved with yet.
"The calibre and business acumen shown by these students left the judges with a very tough decision to make on the night.
"There were certainly a couple of companies presenting last night, who for sure, could go on to be profitable, sustainable companies in the future."
Lucy O'Donnell, Young Enterprise manager for the Humber Area, said: "'As Young Enterprise Manager for the Humber Area, I would like to congratulate all the teams this academic year, that standard has been extremely high.
"To see the students progress into confident young people & gaining the invaluable life skills that Company Programme provides has been extremely inspiring."
The winning categories:
The Zodiac group
- Best Company of the Year 2017 Winners (sponsored by East Riding Yorkshire Council) – Forte
- Best Communication & Teamwork – Forte
- Best Social, Ethical & Environmental – Rural Gold
- Best Marketing Sales & Customer Focus (sponsored by William Jackson Foods) – Forte
- Best Innovation & Entrepreneurship – Rural Gold
- Best Financial Management (sponsored by Prism Fire & Workplace Safety) – Forte
- Best Company Presentation – Rural Gold
- Best Company of the Year 2017 Runner Up – Rural Gold